Babies and children not meeting their milestones do much better if their difficulties are recognised and help is sought quickly. Then professionals will help you with a plan to support your child and more progress will be made than if the problems were overlooked or additional expertise was not sought.

In the UK?

If your child is under school age, your first port of call should be your health visiting team. They will be able to advise on you next steps to take and whether you should contact your GP, or be given a referral to specialist services.

You can find contact details for your local team here:

The National Childbirth Trust doesn’t only provide support for pregnancy and birth – they can provide advice and practical help for the first 1000 days of your child’s life.

You can call the NCT by tapping here: 0300 330 0700

If your child is attending a nursery, pre-school or childminder then do pick up the phone and speak to them. They will have the contact information for services local to you and will be able to use their professional knowledge of children to reassure you and advise on what to do next.